Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Old Friends


Last week my High School drama teacher visited me here in Chicago. Beyond the fun of seeing her and catching up on our lives, it was really a wonderful moment for me to think about all the experiences I had that lead me to where I am at this point in my life. And I'm not being overly sentimental here or mushy. I'm taking a quiet introspective look at some of my formative years and giving thanks for the opportunities I had. Of course at the time they didn't seem good enough - nor would they have been enough to sustain me through my life. I had to move away and blaze my own path for my life. But there were hundreds of little things and thousands of tiny moments that I would never remember unless I sat down and actively thought about them. I'm glad that I had the cause to have that sit down.

Often times it is said in literature and witticisms that things are never as good as they seem. For me, this was a time of finally understanding that they were. I was always dreaming of bigger and better things. But it took some living and some real life experience to learn that things are not really bigger or better - they are just how they are. And it is never settling to be happy in the here and now. Not that one should ever give up dreaming, but the hope of the dream should not overshadow our waking hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment