Friday, December 24, 2010

Play of the Week: The Pantomime


Yesterday's blog posting from the London Guardian talks about Britain's Christmas Pantomimes. I'll have to admit, I don't know much about pantomimes. From what I can glean they should like a cross between mummers plays, commedia del'arte, and now, musical hall.

Whatever the art form is comprised of, however, I bring it up for the point that it's uniquely British. Is there a theater form that we can claim is uniquely American? (musical comedy doesn't count). And is there any sort of theater form that has the mass folk appeal like the pantomime - something that children are exposed to once a year and something that adults nostalgically remember. I can't think of anything close on this side of the pond.

Having read this article, I am sad that I missed Piccolo Theatre's production of The Panto of Robin Hood.


Happy Birthday: Ave Gardner (1922-1990)
December 25: Evelyn Nesbit (1884-1967) & Humphrey Bogart (1899-1957)
December 26: Dion Boucicault (1820-1890) & Bahram Bayzai (b. 1938)

No comments:

Post a Comment